I have been crossfitting for almost 2 years now (can I get a Whoop Whoop)! I have NEVER stuck with a workout program this long in my entire life! I can’t believe how much I have changed (mentally & physically). My strength has grown like crazy, my pants size has decreased like crazy, I sleep better than I ever have- and my body is in better shape than it’s ever been in my entire life. BUT…. There is one thing I still struggle with, and that is the Paleo DIET er, uhm, I mean lifestyle.
The first time our gym implemented a paleo challenge I went into it guns blazing. I threw out all the processed food in my house. I ate very clean with a few cheats here and there, but for the most part I’d say I ate 85% paleo. I ate more vegetables, fruit, nuts and protein than ever before. Guess what?!? I FELT GREAT!! I didn’t get that 2:00 p.m. sluggish nap feeling. I never got sick… even with my 2 boys that go to daycare and ooze germs I never got so much as a sniffle. My skin was better, and my hair was thicker. So why did I quit? The challenge was over, and when the temptation of a Caramel Macchiato, and Pumpkin scone presented itself I caved. After that temptation there was pizza, beer, soda, cookies, cupcakes…etc…etc…etc… you catch my drift… Goals are easily broken when there is temptation staring you in the face :( When I fell off the Paleo wagon I started craving the processed foods more and more. My body tried to tell me to get back on… but I didn’t listen. My muffin top came back with a vengeance, my jeans felt ridiculously tight, everything jiggled when I jumped rope, my workouts felt sluggish. It was not good. It is completely unfair how quickly you can undo all the “good” you’ve done. It’s time for me to start taking 2 steps forward 0 steps back. Right now I feel like Paula Abdul “2 steps forward, 2 steps back”.
Let me know how you stay motivated. What are your tips and tricks to staying Paleo? I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as healthy feels, but my old habits always find their way back in my daily life. HELP!!!!!
LD this post is music to my ears, currently undergoing some MAJOR life changes I have thought so much about all this! I have learned so much about myself and the main one that has kept me going is my eating habits. You just have to do it!! Nothing is worth feeling like junk! Well maybe the occasional binge drinking out with some awesome Crossfit folks. But for the most part no food is worth feeling like crap after. After going to Chicago and seeing what I could be some day drives me even more to eat better and kick ass later. I strive to feel better everyday. Yeah so I have some caving moments now and then, I don't want to forget why I want to eat better, but for the most part I defnitely don't want to go back to being the way I used to be!!! Trust me, shopping for clothes is way more fun when you can get into that smaller size! Focus on looking good, working out hard, and being healthier!! Start today and not tomorrow!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the words Amac... and for the record you look great, and that is motivation for me to get my butt in gear!! Starting now!!
ReplyDeleteHonesty is the 1st step...great post!
ReplyDeleteAll change requires sacrifice...the goal you want to attain requires the same if not more amount of sacrifice to get there. That doesn't mean you don't have to live life restricting yourself from everything you used to enjoy. Its all about healthy alternatives and learning what options are available for you.
Journaling is very very helpful. But even more beneficial then journaling is pre-planning plan out your next day or week prior to that day/week. If you present your plan in advance it is so much easily to hold yourself accountable as that day/week is happening.
The other thing I have noticed recently is people feel when they accomplish something good they 'deserve' something not good (cheat meals, binge drinking, smoking, etc...). Why is it that we give ourselves 'permission' to hurt our bodies? Why don't we give ourselves 'permission' to help improve our bodies or stick out our plan/goal???
Make a commitment -> Pre Plan -> Make it Public -> WIN-WIN-WIN!