Monday, April 11, 2011

So, I climbed a mountain.


Aunt Jemima comes out to play on the Hollywood Hills!
Yep, I did. I couldn't believe it myself. I have to say though, that on the way up I was contemplating the many ways I could quit, stop, give up, yadda yadda, I realized that a: no one would come and get me. b: no matter which way I go, it was equally as hard to get out of the predicament. and c: If I just kept going, I'd complete the goal, have something to brag about and be proud that yes, even I can climb a mountain. Needless to say, I realized that there was no place for the helicopter to land and thus, I kept going.

Along the way, I overheard another hiker say to her friend, "If we did this for a month, we'd be in shape." Well, yeah, you're right....kinda. We kinda laughed it off, to be honest. Then, we started going up. And up. And up some more...not just low grade up, but STEEP up! And then—after I took a break, removed clothing, wiped away the sweat, cursed my surroundings and peed behind a bush—I understood. Yes, if I did this everyday for a month, I'd be a whole helluva lot better off than I am right now. The key is to keep at it—past the month—forever.

I was encouraged by my friends, the other hikers and oddly enough, myself. That's what does it for me. The love. It's fun. Interaction. Grab a friend. Go hiking, walking, running, jogging, etc... just get out there and do it. Enjoy nature. Soak. But, have fun doing it and you'll never stop. AND eventually, you'll thank the friend who took you on the hike in the first place. Annie and Chris, ya'll are an inspiration for the masses!

4 comments:

  1. So very proud of you Rob!! That is an amazing feat to accomplish! I will always be your friend to get out there and do whatever. If you take everything and look at it as an adventure or something new to attack and accomplish it's all the more fun and worth it in the end! I'm so in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROB! You are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I am so proud of you! I want you to remember how great it felt to climb that mountain every time you are doing a WOD, use that metal picture, self talk to get through it!

    PS.....There is always going to be another mountain. I'm always going to want to make it move.....Sorry I could not help myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should take you girls there when you visit in July! Great job Rob! It was a good time. I love to soak:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SOAK SOAK SOAK!!

    Rob... as much as you cursed the hike, YOU STILL DID IT. Not just because you had nowhere to go... but because you could do it!! Plain and simple. You had a goal (to get to the top or to not die) and you achieved it.

    I'm very proud of you. The next time you feel down... remember the feeling of finishing the hike... and soak a little while you're at it.

    ReplyDelete